Crowns help conceal restorative procedures and reinforce weak and unappealing teeth. Here's some more information your Fowlerville, MI, dentists, Dr. Brian Petersburg, Dr. Brian Giammalva, and Dr. Wendy Jativa, have to offer:
Dental crowns are porcelain caps. They slip over your teeth, making them an easy and quick restoration. The process consists of your Fowlerville dentist taking an impression of your teeth, then sending it to a lab. The lab creates custom crowns, which takes some time, but not to worry, you're given a temporary crown.
Why should you get crowns?
As previously mentioned, there are three main reasons to get a crown:
- Restorative Procedure: Your natural tooth is weakened during restorative procedures, like root canals or dental implants, so your doctor will place a crown over it to protect the restorative procedure.
- Reinforce Teeth: Since your tooth is weakened during restorative procedures, a crown will reinforce what remains of the natural tooth to prevent damage, like dislocating an existing filling.
- Unappealing Teeth: Your teeth may be discolored, chipped, or cracked, all of which don't contribute to a great smile, so getting a crown will cover those imperfections.
Proper Care for Crowns:
- A healthy dental regimen: Brush twice a day, and preferably a third time during after you've had lunch, and floss before bed.
- Healthy eating habits: Your crowns can last if you make smart eating habits, like not biting into ice, eating fruits and vegetables, and avoiding sugary foods like soda and candy that contain plaque-producing bacteria.
- Bruxism: This is when someone has a bad habit of grinding their teeth, so your Fowlerville dentist suggests getting a mouth guard or splints to protect your crown and other natural teeth from damage to last longer.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Petersburg, Dr. Giammalva, and Dr. Jativa in Fowlerville, MI, as soon as possible. Just call them at (517) 223-8545 today!