What your dentists in Fowlerville, MI want you to know
If you’ve taken the plunge and now have porcelain veneers, you want to get the most out of your investment. Your veneers may look delicate and beautiful, but they are strong. You need to know how to care for your veneers to make them last. Your dentists at Fowlerville Family Dentistry in Fowlerville, MI Dr. Brian Petersburg, Dr. Brian Giammalva and Dr. Wendy Jativa want to share some tips on how to keep your veneers looking their best.
Porcelain veneers may be strong, but there are still some important things you should avoid doing when you have veneers. Just remember:
- Not to use your teeth as tools to tear open things; ripping and tearing could result in chipping your veneers.
- To avoid hard foods like hard candy or apples; don’t chew ice cubes or your fingernails.
- Always wear a mouthguard if you play contact sports or activities.
- Have a nightguard made and wear it if you grind your teeth at night.
Porcelain veneers are made of high-tech materials that resist stains, so your veneers should stay sparkling with regular maintenance. Daily care of your new veneers can be as simple as brushing and flossing your teeth. Just remember to:
- Brush your teeth after meals and before bed; using a sonic or electric toothbrush helps to flush out bacteria from your gums and around your teeth, including your veneers.
- Floss your teeth at least once each day; you can use a single piece of floss or flosspicks, depending on what you prefer.
- Schedule regular yearly dental examinations including x-rays; your dentists can ensure there are no problems with your veneers.
- Schedule regular professional cleanings every six months; your dental professional will polish your veneers with a non-abrasive paste to keep them looking their best.
When you choose porcelain veneers you are making an investment in yourself and your smile. You can enjoy your new veneers for many years if you care for them properly.
For more information about caring for your veneers check with the experts by calling your dentists at Fowlerville Family Dentistry in Fowlerville, MI. Help your new smile last a lifetime by calling today!